Monday, October 4, 2010

"An ex-girlfriend once got upset when I told her that music is the most important thing in my life. It’s more important than anyone else could ever be. I don’t want to be overly dramatic and say it’s the only thing that gets me up and keeps me going. But people in your life come and go. As you go through your life, you make friendships, you break friendships, you have relationships. Music is the one thing I’ve always been able to rely on. So why wouldn’t it be the most important thing in my life?"
-Ben Gibbard

I absolutely love this quote. Not just because Ben Gibbard said it, but because it's absolutely true about my life. Fore the last eight years of me life, I have help music above everything else in my life. It is my deity, it is my coffee in the morning, my sleeping pill at night, a best friend I can talk to at any time, a boyfriend I need to tell me everything is okay and that I am beautiful, a teacher, a doctor, and a therapist, all in one.

People are so fickle. Now, don't get me wrong, I have an incredible family, and a few best friends my life would be difficult without, but like Ben says, people come and go, and relationships fall apart. My relationship with the music I listen to has never been rocky; I've never been unsure of where I stand with music. It is always there, always present, and always helpful.

I remember once when Rachel (the other GirlPerson) was feeling down, I told her to put on her favorite record, open up her windows, and listen to the rain and that it would all be okay. It always works for me! Try it next time you're sad and just want to forget about everything.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Chantel.
    I'll never forget you saying that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. I shall try it.

    ReplyDelete