Sunday, October 3, 2010

B o o k C l u b

This weekend I recently finished "Portrait Of An Addict As A Young Man". 
If any of you have read "A Million Little Pieces" you would absolutely love this book. I was captivated by it the entire time (note, this is very difficult for me to do)Not only was it a story about addiction, but as well as a piece of art, the imagery and wording is so poetic at times, and the voice of the authors paranoia really was dead on. I felt so emotionally attached to this book, I often found myself up late at night crying my eyes out at the end of many of his passages, I had marked up this book more than any other book In my collection so in other words.. I  would highly recommend this book. I want other suggestions of books that have had this type of emotional impact on you readers, please please please write back to this post I want your suggestions. Im running out of things to read.. 
I AM CRAVING EMOTIONALLY DRAINING BOOKS!

"Looking at the forty bags of crack on my bedspread, the most I have ever seen in one place. It makes me feel safer than I have felt all day. The bags look fuller, more jam-packed than usual, and the abundance, the dancing light outside the window, and the awareness that I will never leave this room sends a high through my system before I even light up. I lie down on the bed and drop the bags on my chest and face, one by one, and then all at once. It feels like an arrival. The end of a journey. Not just the panicked one of days and nights and weeks after relapsing, but the long one, the whole useless. I pull the curtains shut and pack a hit with one of the new stems and, more than ever before, let the crumbs scatter about. It won't matter. I won't see the end of this pile. There is no way I can survive this. I pack another hit. Another. And another. Happy has given me eight stems, and I load two more so I don't have to wait for the one to cool before I start the next. I inhale smoke nonstop for nearly an hour, naked and breathing more smoke than air. I am filled with smoke- warm, electric, big. I feel weightless in this dim room. I am almost nothing. I am, finally, about to be nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment